A sexual health clinic is a general term for medical facilities that provide tests and treatment for sexually transmitted infections (STIs). They sometimes also offer advice on contraception, pregnancy, and family planning.
The primary purpose of a sexual health clinic is helping with such things such as sexually transmitted infection (STI) tests, HIV tests, herpes simplex virus (HSV) diagnoses, hepatitis B virus (HBV) diagnoses, and HPV DNA testing. They can also help with colposcopy, cervical smears, and contraception advice among other issues. If you are looking for a sexual health clinic in Singapore, you may consider Dr Ben Medical.
What can you expect at a Sexual Health Clinic?
Visiting a sexual health clinic for the first time can be a little daunting, but you really don’t need to fret when you get to the facility. The anxiety might be due to the fear of the unknown, but once you know what to expect from a visit, you’ll likely find that it’s not as bad as you thought it would be.
Most clinics have a drop-in system, which means you don’t need an appointment to see a doctor or nurse. Simply walk in and let one of the receptionists know that you’re there for a sexual health check-up. They will then direct you to the right person and room.
If you’re feeling embarrassed or shy, remember that the staff at the clinic have seen it all before, and they are more than happy to help. You can ask them any questions you have, and they will be more than happy to provide advice and support. Here are five things you can expect when you visit a good sexual health clinic in Singapore:
A confidential and safe environment
One of the key benefits of visiting a sexual health clinic is that you can be sure your privacy will be respected. The staff will not discuss your visit with anyone else without your permission, and all information regarding your visit will be kept strictly confidential.
A thorough examination
When you go for a sexual health check-up, the doctor or nurse will give you a complete physical examination. This will include checking your genitals and anus for any signs of infection or swelling. They may also take a sample of blood or urine to test for STIs.
Treatment and advice
If the doctor or nurse finds anything wrong during the examination, they will provide treatment and advice on how to deal with the problem. This might include prescribing medication or giving you advice on how to change your lifestyle.
Counseling and support
If you have been diagnosed with an STI, the clinic staff will offer you counseling and support. They will be able to answer any questions you have about the infection and provide advice on how to protect your partner.
A wide range of services
Not all sexual health clinics offer the same services, but most clinics will test for STIs, HIV, herpes simplex virus, hepatitis B virus, and HPV. Some clinics also offer contraceptive advice, pregnancy testing, and abortions.
Sexual health clinics provide a vital service for people who want to ensure their sexual wellbeing. If you’re sexually active, it’s important to visit a clinic regularly for check-ups and get any treatment you may need. It’s also a good idea to visit the clinic if you have any concerns about your sexual health. Clinic staff are more than happy to help, so don’t be embarrassed.
What does a Sexual Health Clinic help with?
A sexual health clinic can offer both male and female patients a wide range of services, including examinations, tests, counseling, advice, and treatment for sexually transmitted infections (STIs). You can also find information on how to keep your sexual health in good shape. If you’re not sure what to ask for below are some of the services you may be offered at a sexual health clinic in Singapore:
- Pregnancy testing: The staff will perform pregnancy tests if you think you might be pregnant. If they find that you are pregnant, they will refer you to other services specializing in this area.
- Contraceptive advice: Some clinics have nurses who are specialized in contraception assistance. They provide contraceptive advice over the phone or in-person and can help you pick the right contraceptive for you.
- HIV testing: All sexual health clinics offer HIV testing services. The test is simple, painless, and confidential.
- STI testing: Sexual health clinics test for a variety of sexually transmitted infections, including gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphilis, and herpes.
- Treatment: If you are diagnosed with an STI, the clinic will provide treatment. This may include antibiotics or antiviral medications.
- Counseling: Many clinics offer counseling to patients who have been diagnosed with an STI. The counselors can answer any questions you have about the infection and how to protect your partner. They can also provide emotional support.
How to prepare for a Sexual Health Check-up
Sexual health clinics aim to make their services as convenient and comfortable as possible, but there are still some steps you can take before your appointment to make the check-up go smoothly. They include;
- Make sure you’re well-rested: When you arrive for your sexual health check-up, it’s important that you feel alert and that your brain is at peak function. Don’t go to the clinic if you haven’t had enough sleep or if you’re feeling groggy from medication or alcohol. The staff will need to ask questions about your medical history and previous illnesses, so stay as focused as possible during the examination process. If you’ve just woken up from a nap, consider rescheduling your sexual health check-up for another time.
- Bring someone with you: It can be stressful to visit any doctor, let alone a sexual health clinic in Singapore. If you’re accompanied by a friend or partner, then you’ll feel more relaxed and comfortable asking questions or discussing your concerns. Your support person doesn’t need to sit in on the entire exam, but having them nearby can help reduce your anxiety levels during the process.
The Bottom Line
When it comes to sexual health, visiting a sexual health clinic can be an important first step. If you’re sexually active, then it’s crucial that you look after your sexual health by getting regular check-ups and STI tests. You can also receive counseling, information, or contraceptive advice, depending on what services the clinic provides. Remember to go to a sexual health clinic if you have any concerns about your sexual wellbeing, and consider making an appointment even if everything is fine.
If you want more information about visiting a sexual health clinic in Singapore, be sure to contact us. We’ll be happy to help you with any sexual health concerns that could be bothering you. Call: +65 888 12344
Dr Ben Medical @ Raffles Place : Ear Wax Removal | Allergy Testing | Erectile Dysfunction
1 Raffles Place, #04-50, Singapore 048616
+65 8886 7890